KNOWING YOU COULD IS BETTER
THAN KNOWING YOU WILL
I must see you; let’s meet at the fringes of
respectability
at quarter past nine. We could straddle the oft-licked
curb
(it’s the repetition we like). I promise not to say
anything louche when you
buss the backs of my fingers.
What is that noise coming from the other
side of the river—
maybe pavement being set perfectly straight or a woozy
guitar.
In light like this we become automatic and can reach each
other—
what a difficult noise to hold and clearly making love is all
that.
Juiced, I’m sure we’re taller than before and don’t miss
what
we’ve lost. Meanwhile the streetlights blush
in their globes as if they could
tell how the party towed us
along like a chain of rollerblading kids latched
onto a bus.
Later let’s go swimming down by the electrical plant
since
as you know the water runs out warmest from its pipes.
Bring on the horse
tranquilizers
for my listing heart is pecker-fretted, truculent and
true.
No comments:
Post a Comment